- Anthropology of Islam
- Study of Religion
- Transnational Islam
- Islam in North-Africa
- Islam in Europe
|Fields of research
- Cultural Identity in North Africa
- Muslim-Jewish Relations
- Islam in Europe
- 2006 - 2010 PhD Study of Religions (Anthropology). School of Oriental and African Studies, University of London.
- 2005 – 2006 MA in Islamic Societies and Cultures. School of Oriental and African Studies, University of London.
- 2000 -2005 Universitat de Barcelona, Spain. BA History
- 2018-Ständigedozentin Islamwissenschaften(ethnologie). Universität St Gallen.
- 2012-2018 - Assistenzprofessorin Islamwissenschaften(ethnologie). Universität St Gallen, Switzerland.
- 2009-2012 - Junior Research Fellowship.Centre for the Study of Muslim-Jewish Relations in collaboration with the Centre of Middle Eastern and Islamic Studies, Faculty of Middle Eastern and Asian Studies, Cambridge University, United Kingdom.
- Introduction to Islam
- Islam in Europe
- North African Societies and Politics
- Political Islam
- Islam, Gender, and Sexuality
- The Middle East Today
- Religious Conflict in the Middle East (co-taught with Monika Bolliger)
Supervision of BA & MA theses.
Relevant Teaching Experience and Training
- School of International Service of the American University, Washington D.C. and the Centre for the Study of Muslim-Jewish Relations, Cambridge, UK (2014-15): e-learning MA course ‘Bridging the Great Divide: the Jewish-Muslim Encounter’
- Centre for the Study of Muslim-Jewish Relations, Cambridge, UK (2009-2013): e-learning MA course ‘An Introduction to Muslim-Jewish Relations’ and MA Course for the Cambridge Theological Federation ‘Introduction to Islam’
- Institute of Continuing Education, University of Cambridge (2011): a course on ‘Sufism in the Modern World, an anthropological perspective’ for adult learners.
- School of Oriental and African Studies, University of London Teaching Assistantship (2007 – 2009):MA course ‘Modern Trends on Islam’ and BA course 'Introduction to Islam'
September 2016 – September 2020 ‘Ethnogenesis among North African Andalusians’. Interviews with members of the Andalusian and Sephardic communities in Turkey, Israel, Tunisia, Morocco and Spain.
- Outcome: Monograph published by Edinburgh University Press (Europe) and two peer-reviewed articles.
September 2014 – September 2018 ‘the Swiss Ummaproject, Muslim Political Representation in Switzerland’. Interviews with leaders of the 10 biggest Muslim Organisations in Switzerland were held between September 2013 and June 2014.
- Outcome: conference paper and journal article.
September 2013 – October 2016 ‘Muslim-Christian Relations in Ceuta and Melilla’.
- Outcome: 1)Organizer of the International Workshop on the Anthropology of Borderlands ‘Religion at the Borderland; Conceptualizing ‘Borders’ through the Study of Religion’ held in St Gallen in October 2013. 2) a peer-reviewed paper. Completed.
September 2009 - February 2012 ‘Endings with Meaning. An Exploration of Jewish and Muslim Ritual Practises Related to Death, Dying and Bereavement in Britain’ – The Woolf Institute, Cambridge, UK.
- Outcome: Symposium, two peer-reviewed articles, teaching materials for course with masters’ students, medical practitioners, and hospital staff. Completed.
September 2006 - ongoing ‘Female embodied religious identities in the transnational Sufi Order Qadiriyya Budshishiyya’.
- Outcome: PhD Thesis, Monograph published by Routledge and peer-reviewed articles.
- European Association Social Anthropology (EASA) –part of the Anthropology of Religion Network
- American Academy of Religion (AAR)
- Société Suisse pour la science des Religions (SSSR)
- 2013 “Kulturen, Institutionen, Märkte” KIM Conference Funding Award, HSG. Awards to fund the International Anthropology Symposium ‘Religion at the Borderland’ at the University of St Gallen, 30th - 31st October 2013.
- 2010 Islamic Studies Network Project Funding - The Higher Education Academy of the UK Government. Award to produce the teaching materials and support the teaching of a course on the Cultural diversity of Muslim life cycle rites across the world.
- 2006- 2009 Fundación Caja Madrid. Spain. Scholarship for Doctorate Studies in Social Sciences
- 2002-2005 Becas para Estudiantes de Licenciatura, Universitat de Barcelona, Spain. Scholarship for Undergraduate Studies
- ‘Connecting Unrelated Events is a Side-Effect of Terrorism’ Euractiv, EU news and policy debates Portal across languages, http://www.euractiv.com/section/security/opinion/connecting-unrelated-events-is-a-side-effect-of-terrorism/, 23rd December 2016.
- ‘The waves created by electing a Muslim mayor for London’. Swissinfo, the Swiss Portal for International News, http://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/opinion_the-waves-created-by-electing-a-muslim-mayor-for-london/42145378, 10th May 2016.
- ‘Are New Sufis “Grey Turks”?’. Euxeinos, Governance and Culture in the Black Sea Region, May 2013, Center for Governance and Culture in Europe, St Gallen, Switzerland.
- ‘The End of Life Among Muslim and Jewish Communities in the United Kingdom: Continuity and Transformation of Meanings and Practises’. Middle East in London Magazine, September 2010, London Middle East Institute.
- ‘Should the NHS Employ Hospital Chaplains?’, The Times Online, Faith Section, http://www.cis.cam.ac.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/life_and_death_times_article.pdf, 10th August 2010.
- Interview at BBC Radio Sunday Show, Faith Section about the research project ' The End of Life Among Muslim and Jewish Communities in the UK'. June 2010.
- ‘Sensing the body to dilute the self: the corporeal acquisition of a Sufi identity; International conference ‘Sufism and the Body', University of Utrech.
- ‘Dinámicas de 'otredad' en la etnogénesis andalusí en Túnez: búsquedas identitarias motivadas por el otro’; International conference ‘Túnez y el Mediterráneo en la Edad Moderna: Identidades, conflictos y representaciones, (Homenaje a Slimane Mostafa Zbiss y Mikel de Epalza’, National Archives, Tunis, Tunisia.
- ‘On the untraslatability of religious emotion: Moroccan Sufism beyond Arabic and the acts of ‘explaining’ Islam’, International Conference, European languages as Islamic lingua francas, University of Amsterdam.
- ‘Between two or three worlds; Reversion to Islam, marocanité and Western Sufism in the tariqa Budshishiyya; International Workshop: Sufism East and West, Universität Erfurt, Germany.
- ‘El sufismo marroquí a través de sus prácticas – una mirada antropológica a la tariqa Budshishiyya’; Centro Superior de Investigaciones Científicas, Madrid, Spain.
- ‘El Sufismo Contemporáneo y las disputas por el “corazón” del Islam’; Seminario de Historia y Religión, Universidad Autónoma de Madrid, Spain.
- ‘Debunking Some Myths on the Study of Contemporary Islam, the case of the Moroccan Sufi Order Qadiriyya Budshishiyya’; Seminar für Nahoststudien, Universität Basel, Switzerland.
- ‘My Civilisation, your Barbarianism; Religious Identity and the Re-appropriation of al-Andalus in the Moroccan-Spanish Borderland.’ at the ‘Religion at the Borderland; Conceptualizing “Borders”through the Study of Religion’ Anthropology Symposium, University of St Gallen,Switzerland.
- ‘The“Swiss Umma” Project; the struggles and dilemmas of a nascent Muslim Umbrella Organisation’ at the ‘Muslim Participation in Contemporary Governance’Conference, Bishopgate Institute London, University of Bristol and AHRC/ESRCproject on Muslim Participation in Contemporary Governance, United Kingdom.
- ‘Dying the same way? A comparative perspective on Jewish and Muslim understandings of death’, at the ‘Intertwined Worlds: The Judaeo-Islamic Tradition’ Symposium,University of Cambridge, United Kingdom.
- ‘Transplanting Moroccan Sufism or Enacting New Eclecticisms? Transnational Identities and Regional Religiosities in the Qadiriyya Today’, at the ‘Religions and Migrations in Southern Europe’ Conference, University of Porto, Portugal.
- ‘The way you live is the way you die: Framing religious narratives in Muslim and Jewish mortuary religiosities in Britain today’, at the ‘Death Day’ Conference,Department of Theology and Religious Studies, University of Winchester, United Kingdom.
- ‘End of life, death and Bereavement among Muslims in the UK’, College of Healthcare Chaplains, Addenbrooke's Hospital, Cambridge, United Kingdom.
- ‘Transculturating Sulami. Readaptation of the Central Asian Medieval Sufi Heritage for Western European Audiences Today’, at the ‘International Conference on Central Asian Islamic Identities’, International Kazakh-Turkish University, Turkestan,Republic of Kazakhstan.
- ‘Mediating between Sulami’s Kitab al-Futuwah and Modern Sufi Readers. Agency and Transmission of Medieval Sufism in the Tariqa Budshishiyya Today’, at The‘Cambridge Symposium on Middle Eastern Studies: Knowledge and Language in Middle Eastern Societies,’ Department of Middle Eastern Studies, University of Cambridge, United Kingdom.
- ‘Islamic Journeys Of The Soul Expressed In European Female Bodies. Religious Conversion as Bodily Enactments’, at the ‘Perspectives on Intercorporeality and Intersubjectivity Conference’, University College Dublin, Republic of Ireland.
- ‘The European Budshishiyya, a Plural Map of Islamic Religiosities Within a Global Sufi Movement Today’ at the Postgraduate Conference, School of Oriental and African Studies, Faculty of Languages and Cultures, University of London,United Kingdom.
- ‘Spanish Budshishiyya: Local Embodiment of a Global Sufi Order’ at the 2008 International Conference: ‘Twenty Years and More: Research into Minority Religions, New Religious Movements and ‘the New Spirituality’, Cesnur, Center for Studies on New Religions, London School of Economics, United Kingdom.
- 2010-2014 I was the Reviews Editor of the Academic Journal Intertwinned Worlds devoted to the study of Muslim-Jewish Relations.The publication is an integral part of the Religion Compass Journal, published by Wiley-Blackwell. For further information, see: http://intertwinedworlds.wordpress.com/features/book-reviews/reviews-editors/
I am a peer reviewer of articles for the following journals:
- Religion Compass Journal,published by Wiley-Blackwell,
- Journal of Contemporary Islam,published by Springer,
- European Journal of Turkish Studies, https://ejts.revues.org/,
- Medicine Anthropology Theory (MAT), http://www.medanthrotheory.org/(open-access journal),
- Journal of Religion in Austria, published by Brill.
- International Journal for the Study of New Religions, published by Equinox.
FOR RESEARCH PROJECTS
I am a peer reviewer of postdoctoral project proposals dealing with Sufism considered for funding at the Austrian Science Fund (FWF).
I am a peer reviewer of postdoctoral project proposals dealing with Sufism considered for funding at the Czech Science Fund (GACR).
- 2015 Associate Fellow at the Orient-Institut in Istanbul, as part of the project "Sepharad and al-Andalus Today"